Monday, February 8, 2016

Weeks 1-4


I had 2 students in week 1, 2 students in week 2, 2 student in week 3, and 5 students in week 4. I have established 2 regulars! Most of the things we talk about are homework problems and video checkpoints. I act as a guide as they think through their problems, and let them make a mistake, but make sure they know why they made that mistake, and how to think to get on the right path. Mistakes made were about things like not being able to use trig to find the range given the initial projectile angle, or misusing the range and time equations by applying it to an asymmetrical trajectory. Other tips I gave were breaking apart a problem into easily identifiable/solvable pieces, and connecting the x and y components/organizing the information so that the x and y components do not get mixed up.

Aside from office hours, I held a review session for the exam. I advertised it as a session for tips on how to approach problems (mostly for new-to-physics students), and we ended up having to bring extra seats in from the room next door. Don't know how it ended up helping them (the exam scores aren't out yet), but I did go over common misconceptions regarding vectors and kinematics, and tips on how to save some time solving problems and connecting concepts to the equations.

No comments:

Post a Comment