Thursday, February 1, 2018

Weeks of 1/15,1/22

UTA: Jeffrey Socash
Prof: Dr. Nero
Course: PHYS 0175

Apologies for the late post.  Not much happened over these past few weeks, despite an exam being ever-so-present on the horizon.  I had one student come into my office hours the Friday before the exam, so I don't have much to say about that.

I suppose the biggest thing I can talk about it comparing how Nero's lectures feel relative to Hong's, who I UTA'd for in the Fall.  Most noticeably, I definitely notice I'm getting more use helping with clicker questions, with at least 2 or 3 questions per lecture thanks to the flipped format.  I'm glad for that; it makes my lecture presence feel justified.  I still wonder if there could be more uses for UTAs at lectures, though, such as helping with in-class demonstrations.  I do miss when Dr. Hong would have us explain clicker questions on the board.

All in all, though, I do feel a lot more equipped to help with Nero's course than Hong's course, since I took it in the past.  Every problem a student brings to me or asks me to help with is familiar, and in the worst-case scenario I can fall back on my old notes or homework and find out how I solved the same type of problem previously.  Hopefully I get some more office hour attendance after the exam.

No comments:

Post a Comment