Saturday, March 31, 2018

Weeks of 3/19 and 3/26

Class: PHYS 0175
Prof: Dr. Nero

Again, sorry for doubling up.  Busy week!

Monday, March 26 was an exam day.  This exam was also the cutoff set by Dr. Nero for visiting a UTA to receive extra credit.  I had 3 office hours the Friday before that exam.  To no surprise, it was a busy office hours session.  I recorded 17 individual visitors during that whole time period!  That's 2 more than the total amount of visitors I had from the start of the term up until then!  Some were obviously just in it for the credit (and to be fair, I included them because they did put in at least some effort to come in and ask questions), but there was also a fair amount of test questions (though it was definitely influenced by the extra credit deadline, since I hadn't had anywhere near that amount of visitors for the previous two midterms).

Since my Friday office hours for the week of 3/19 were right before an exam, and many people showed up, it became an impromptu group study session.  I was fielding questions from homework and practice exams and doing them on the board for up to 8 or 9 people at once.  I actually recognized the practice exam problems from the exam I took last spring!  There was a bit of pressure involved with doing problems on the board for a large group, since I usually deal with only one or two students at a time, but I was able to resolve all the questions asked (I had office hours the day before homework was due in Hong's 0175 course this fall, so I was used to having to address a bunch of last-minute questions at once).

Quite contrary to that week, the next week's office hours (on the Friday immediately following the exam) were totally empty, so nothing to write about there.  I was surprised, since the 3rd midterm last year was sort of my wake-up call for the final.  I assume people will start coming soon, though, once Nero gets to EM Waves and Light.

Lectures went as usual; nothing special to comment.

-Jeffrey Socash

No comments:

Post a Comment