Friday, November 11, 2016

Journal (Week 11/8)

This week they are continuing to learn optics, which is personally my favorite topic of the course. As per usual, I only had a couple students stop in for help, all of which wanted to go over ray diagrams. These diagrams are pretty straight forward and I think they are one of those things where at first you have no clue what is going on and it looks like black magic, but then once someone really sits down with you and shows you how they work it just clicks. I know that is how they were for me, and it appeared to be the same case for these students as well. I gave them some tips, made a list of steps on how to approach such problems, and directed them to the text book for a really well organized table that describes each scenario that could possibly happen.

My only issue is with the pre-lab quiz that one student came in with. The quiz grouped mirrors and lenses together, and used the terms interchangeably, but this is not correct at all. Mirrors and lenses behave quite differently and I think this student's main issue was trying to figure out which one they actually wanted him to use. Besides that single question, though, I think everyone left with a better grasp of the optics thus far. I really do enjoy this section of the semester so I am hoping more people come in and ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment