Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Week of 9/10

I have had a handful of students come to my office hours this week. Many of them had questions about problems on the sapling homework. I started out by asking them what they did to solve the problem (i.e. what steps they took). Then I asked what information the problem gave them. I had them break down the problems, and as they were explaining to me what their thought process was and analyzing their work, with guidance from me this was often enough to get them to realize what their mistake was, or help them to understand a concept that they were struggling with. I felt that this way of learning was beneficial to me when I took the class because it forces you to think about the problem and actively participate in solving it, rather than simply being given the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment