Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Journal (Week 10-11)

I am starting to see some familiar faces in my office hours. I only had two students come in for help this week and both of them happened to need help with the same questions, so it worked out well. It is always nice when someone has an issue that someone else had earlier because I have already talked someone else through it, so now on the second time around I know how to even better explain the topic.

I have noticed that the students have typically already answered the questions correctly, but are unsure why the answer they put was correct to begin with. I guess it is a good thing in a way though. I find it easier to show them why using the equation they did, or why applying the rule that they chose, was the correct method to work with. I think that when it is in that situation, they already have a basic understanding of the topic at hand, and then with my explanation they connect everything together and they understand it completely.

Just like in past weeks, it is the little things that they seem to be missing, and as soon as you point it out to them they become pros at the concept. They have an exam coming up in two weeks so I am sure office hours will get a little busier in the coming weeks, but we shall see. The exam average for the last test was not all that high so I suspect there to be more students this time around than last.

No comments:

Post a Comment