Friday, September 15, 2017

Week of 9/11

Class: PHYS 0175 - Hong

This week went about the same as last week in terms of lecture presence.  Missed Monday due to sickness but was present for the other lectures and the grading session.
I tried to balance my office hours (Tuesday and Thursday), but with the homework due every week on Friday, I've noticed that it's actually heavily unbalanced towards Thursdays.  Whereas on Tuesday I was more or less just eating a bagel and watching TV for an hour, on Thursday so many people came in with homework questions that I more or less was leading a mini-lecture on continuous lines of charge to 5-6 students at once. At least now people can't say I don't do anything. A few students who visited my office hours leveraged a few critiques of how Dr. Hong allocates lecture time for conceptual questions vs actual quantitative problems, and I was actually inclined to agree with them. I may bring it up to him during our next meeting (though I'll definitely convey it in a more pleasant way).  Though it was a busy Thursday, I do appreciate the business because it's teaching me to be more articulate and effective in how I explain problems.
I was also assigned to monitor the CourseWeb discussion board for homework questions, but Dr. Hong had already preemptively posted threads addressing common homework questions and he actually ended up beating me to the punch for most of the student posts (I help you out for a reason, you know...).

No comments:

Post a Comment