Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Week of 12/5

This week two students came in, I prepared a final exam review but we didn't have time so I just emailed it to them. This week was nice but I thought way more people would come in. I like having a small number of people though, because then I can focus on giving more instructive help than a quick suggestion. I think one of the most effective ways of communicating ideas is through pictures, especially if you're trying to convey something really abstract like friction force, which only resists motion and is 0 when there is no other force to resist. Today I explained how friction force only matches the force being applied up to the max value of µ*Fn and I tried a couple ways of explaining it, but drawing seemed to work the best. Not only drawing it once but redrawing it in steps also seemed to help for when µs became µk and how motion affects friction.

Overall, I had a really great semester and even though I was only able to help a few people out, I think I was able to make a difference and that is exactly what my goal was. I really enjoyed getting to meet new people, think about problems in new ways, and give help to those who needed it. I wish more people would have come in but I am still happy with the work I did and I look forward to taking this experience and applying it to other things throughout the course of my life. I am truly grateful for the opportunity and I wish anyone reading this good luck with the rest of the semester and happy holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment