Friday, January 10, 2014

Hello All~

Greetings, and cheers to the new semester!

My name is Natalie, and I am a UTA for Physics 0175 this semester and I'm looking forward to some awesome, action packed physics learning. 

Although I've yet to hold a tutoring/review session, I've already had a good chunk of students approach me after lecture expressing their interest. And, considering we just learned electric fields in lecture (a rather abstract concept) its quite understandable! But I think a few more diagrams and a little discussion will clear up their uncertainty in no time at all~

Fun physics factoids (which I'm also currently learning in my thermodynamics class):


super-critical fluids (see the photo of Freon above). In image 1, you can see the liquid freon @ its initial state, and T and P are on the rise. Transition to image 2--the line of state separation appears to blur. And then image 3--Poof! The Freon is still in the apparatus--but we can no longer see a separation between the liquid and vapor phases.  No meniscus!

This substance is said to be at its critical temperature and pressure, and although it looks like a random, but cool phenomena, it has even cooler implications. 

Specific to what I know (which is limited) critical states of fluids are most useful when trying to model gases. Specifically, knowing the critical intensive vars. including (T,P,v) of a gas allows for universal modeling of behavior (to an extent, as always...). This is because gasses @ their critical state all behave similarly--hence, the law of corresponding state. 

Anyways, I could talk about this forever--and I don't know what this blog post is supposed to consist of, but I hope you enjoyed this regardless??

Live long and prosper,

-Nat


2 comments:

  1. Can I just say this is awesome? There, I did it and I will do it again. This is awesome.

    Something cool about the blog posts: You can link your involvement here onto an online portfolio as a future career resource.

    Betcha didn't think of that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hannah! And I will definitely hold on to that fact for the future:)

    ReplyDelete