Thursday, January 23, 2014

This Week--

I had a good few students come to my hour this past Wednesday and it was great! I think they were concerned about exam expectations (a reasonable thing to be concerned about) and I tried to frame the degree of calculus-based ability that would be necessary. Specifically when solving for quantities regarding continuous charge distributions (potentially the trickiest part of the course).

So, I hope I was able to help. I try to encourage students to stop me if I'm being unclear or going to fast--I really want to be an effective teacher~ And I have immense respect for professors--teaching is hard! Though rewarding.

Super Cool Information of the Week:

Steam Turbines:

 

Steam turbines are a really neat application of some fundamental electromagnetic (and thermodynamic) principles. The premise is to get usable work out of steam. The steam drives the rotation of a set of propellers, turning thermal energy into mechanical energy. There is then some sort of mechanistic process (the specifics of which I do not know) that must then generate a variable magnetic flux through the metal coil pictures, which generates electricity--our main goal!

Super cool bit of engineering right there.


-Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment