Friday, January 31, 2014

So far so busy~

Hello all, I hope your week has been a good one~

I am happy to report that last week I had about 17 students come to my hours, and I think we were able to cover a lot of ground. I think that the most challenging thing is getting past the awkward first moments of blank stares or transitions between material. I have to frequently remind everyone "I'm here to help you! Ask me anything, don't hesitate to call out questions or comments or concerns!" But, alas, I have 2 more hours this afternoon so we shall see how the turn out is.

Though, just as a note to the UTA coordinators, I have also had multiple students from my section tell me that they found mine and Harry O'Byrne's hours vastly helpful--more so than their actual graduate student TA's. I think that the pressure of being quizzed at the end of required recitations makes it harder to get at the actual "meat" of the material. Also, since we have so recently taken the course, our perspective is fresher. So, I think on their behalf, I'd like to say thank you because I think this program is making a positive improvement for those students taking initiative.

Happy weekend, stay warm~

-Natalie

No comments:

Post a Comment