Friday, January 16, 2015

Week 1

I have to say I was a little nervous coming into my UTA session, but once I started everything came naturally for the most part. When the session started, there was soon about 5 students in the class. The first student who came in was communicative with respect to the help he needed (mostly on understanding the homework), but the rest of the students were for the most part passive listeners as I went over the problems. Even though I initially stated over the weekend that I wanted to divide the session into groups, I found myself subconsciously gravitating towards going over problems to the chalk board. This is what I am most used to when it comes to assisting others so I think I might just stick to it unless I receive some other feedback.

After about 2 hours, the first group of 5 students all left almost at once but they were quickly replaced by 2 more students. These students were more concerned with walking through some of the concepts and derivations that were shown in lecture. I definitely preferred helping in this manner because I didn't have to worry as much about giving the students too much help on the homework.

There were a few times where I initially made a mistake or took the wrong path when solving a problem but I was able to right the ship in those instances. Being confident in the material helped me to calm the nerves and to be honest the 3 hours flew by. All in all I had 7 students attending my session last night (1/15/15).

No comments:

Post a Comment