Sunday, January 25, 2015

Week 2

This week I helped 5 students.

This was the first week that I help office hours. Dr. Nero posted the office hours for all UTA's on Tuesday, which is my first day of office hours for the week. For this reason, I didn't have anyone that day. Wednesday and Thursday I did have students stop in, though.

On Wednesday, I had one girl come to my office hours. She didn't need a lot of help--she would just work through problems and if she got stuck she would ask for help. This was nice because it was very personalized and I was able to help her through whatever problems she was having. Additionally, she was pretty good at physics, which made my job pretty easy.

On Thursday, I had four students come to my office hours. They were coming to prepare for the test that they have on Tuesday. I worked through several of the problems from their practice test on the board. It was pretty nerve wracking, but I feel that I did alright. There were definitely times where I wasn't quite sure where to go next, but overall I think I did okay. One thing that I definitely need to do is bring my old equation sheets to office hours. There is no way I could remember all of the equations needed, and looking them up in the book takes too long. By bringing them, it would make things much easier.

I was surprised that a lot of questions the 5 students had weren't necessarily about physics problems--they were more about what I did to find success. To me, this was much more comfortable than actually discussing physics.

Overall, it was a good first week, and I am looking forward to tackling the next week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment