Saturday, January 24, 2015

Week Two

I just finished my second office hour session last night. I was glad to see a turnout of students, as opposed to the previous week. I am hoping that attendance will continue as the course material becomes increasingly difficult.

Three students had already arrived at the beginning of my office hours. They asked for help on one homework problem that they found particularly difficult. At first, since there was only 3, I tried to sit down with them and do the problem on paper. This proved to be difficult and I ended up moving to the chalkboard, which I used for the rest of the night.

Next, another 2 students arrived. They also had trouble with the same homework question, so I walked them through the work I had done on the board. After explaining a few more concepts about electric fields from rods, I walked them through the concepts of a few more questions that I had thought were tricky in the homework. After this, 4 of the students left. One remained and asked to just sit there and do homework so she could ask me for help if she needed it while I went along.

At about 8:00pm, one more student arrived. He also needed help with the same homework problem that the other students had had trouble with, so again I walked him through the work that was on the board. He also sat for the remainder of the time with me doing homework, and they would intermittently ask me for help on a problem which I was able to explain on the board. I also gave them some review advice for their upcoming exam next week. At 9:00pm, they both left.

I asked all the students whether it would be better for them to move my office hours to a different night since there had been no turnout the previous week, but they all said that Friday nights were good to get help on homework since it's due on Sunday night. I hope attendance will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment