Thursday, February 5, 2015

Week 3

This was an interesting week because I had my session the night before the first Physics 2 exam. I had a whopping 22 students show up so I had to change the way I did things. Dr. Frolov posted practice questions for the exam and to supplement that I made 6 practice problems for them. I printed out ~25 copies of both Frolov's problems and my own to distribute to the class. Whenever the students came in, I asked them if they had gotten a chance to work on Frolov's practice problems. Because about half of them hadn't gotten a chance to try them, I waited 30 minutes from the start of my session to actually begin addressing the whole class. Based on their decision, I went through each of the practice problems in order. Because these were practice problems and it wasn't homework, I felt less reluctant to just go through the solution (though for tricky parts I asked the class to see what they would do).

Overall I think I was helpful. From what I heard, the free response problems on their exam were very similar to Frolov's practice problems so I think I did the right thing by making that the focus of my session. When I resume to normal office hours next week I think I might change things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment