Sunday, February 8, 2015

Week 3

This week was much busier than the two previous weeks. In my first two weeks of being a UTA, I only had one student come per week. This week however, I had three new students come to my Tuesday office hours and two students (one new and one returning) come to my Wednesday office hours.
On Tuesday, I was not expecting many students to come because of my past attendance. But there were three students there that asked for help. I think this is easily explained by the test that they just received their grades on. Perhaps more students are now taking advantage of the extra credit opportunity to come see me. In the past, I had only worked with one student at a time. Therefore in order to handle three at  a time, I had to change my strategy. Instead of working through a problem with a student step by step, I had to pick out problems for each student to do (that go along with what they were struggling with) and balance my time equally among each student. The first 15 minutes or so were a little stressful but I soon became accustomed to it.
On Wednesday, I had two students that stayed for about 45 minutes. This session went quickly and smoothly. The one returning student I have, brought her friend along with her because she thought that I was a good help.
It seems that more people are starting to use my office hours to improve their grade in the class and increase their knowledge of physics.

No comments:

Post a Comment